Saturday, August 31, 2019

Learning to Spin Fire

When I first watched people spinning fire, I knew I wanted to do it, but it was a scary idea.  I volunteered as a fire safety at a burn called Catharsis that took place on the National Mall. Before they burned the effigy, there was a "conclave" of fire spinners and performers. I learned a lot being up close and helping to put out the flames when the performers exited the circle. The urge to spin fire myself remained and grew. 

I got some light up poi, which are balls on the end of a string, to see how I could do with them. As much as I practiced, I always ended up hitting myself, so lighting them on fire did not seem too appealing. Next, I was gifted a practice staff, and started playing around with it. Joyful memories of throwing around a baton when I was a kid flooded me. This was a lot of fun. Then I was gifted an actual fire staff, so there was no hiding from it. I did it!

I'm really not especially coordinated or talented with the staff, and I think I will try working with fire fans next. I'm imagining a hippie fire dance with a Stevie Nicks vibe. Don't be afraid or think you're too old to follow your dreams and try new things. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Learning to Spin Fire

When I first watched people spinning fire, I knew I wanted to do it, but it was a scary idea.  I volunteered as a fire safety at a burn call...